Wednesday, August 27, 2014

10 YEARS OF MINISTRY

Funny thing . . . . 

This July marked 10 years serving with ABWE.  We just didn't know it.  

They had a recognition service at the Missionary Enrichment conference we attended in July.  

We were supposed to have read the notice in our registration packet . . . . we were supposed to be at the service early . . . we were all supposed to sit in the front . . . .  (noticing a pattern?)

Needless to say, we were late, sitting in the back row and didn't even know we were part of the service until they called our name.  All I could do was laugh.  Next time, maybe we'll read all of our registration packet!

But, this past month I've taken time to reflect on 10 years of ministry.  What has God taught me?  Have I changed and grown any?  What do I look forward to in the next 10 years?

I think I can sum up what God has taught me in one verse, 

 Isaiah 55:8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD."

This verse can unpack so many hidden sins and stumbling blocks for being properly used by God.

Pride
Self-righteousness
Selfishness

This verse also holds incredible joy and peace!  

In my limited thoughts, my plans are just that- limited.  I can't see through the valley or even understand why the valley is there.  BUT, my Lord knows.  He made the valley and has a beautiful purpose for it.  In my thoughts, I'd rather skip the valley.  This last 10 years has brought several valleys and out the other end of it, we've been able to praise God.  
Praise Him for His goodness.
Praise Him for His faithfulness.  
And, praise Him for the valley itself.


Other thoughts or surprises . . . . 

- never really thought I had the gift of hospitality, but now it is a big part of our ministry and an absolute delight.

- I don't think I'll ever be able to live again without Indian spices to cook with!

- It never gets easier to say goodbye to family. 

- I really can live in harmony with ants :)

- It surprised me that I could so easily forget the brands and products that I liked in America.  Buying laundry detergent or cereal at Meijers is overwhelming

- Being behind the scenes to support and encourage others is truly fulfilling.  

- I STILL LOVE WHAT I DO!  

Praise God for continuing to work in us all and we seek to honor Him with our lives.



No comments: